Virtually unknown to the outside world and undisturbed for centuries there is a place where time has stood still.
Remote and untouched by commercial developments and one of the most fascinating, idyllic islands you could dream of visiting. This is Ibo Island, or as the locals call it: Ilha do Ibo.
For the last 500 years Ibo Island was a prosperous trading post along the stunning coast of East Africa. Three forts, a beautiful old catholic church and numerous ancient trading buildings stand guard over the sea. Pirates, ivory, intrigue and the never to be forgotten slave trade are a part of this tiny palm-fringed coral island’s history. Boundless secrets, history and culture are still contained amongst the marvellous ruins, which date back to the early 1500s.
Encounter vast stretches of idyllic beaches and explore some of the world's richest coral reefs.
Discover a coastline fringed by tropical islands on an ancient Arab Dhow - still built to the same design as the vessels which a thousand years ago sailed from India. Snack on cashew nuts and
tropical fruit and dine on the freshest of seafood of every description.
The Ibo Island Experience
- Architecture on Ibo Island dates back to the 1500s
- Forts once serving as military bastions and slave trading houses line the shores of Ibo
- Ibo is a melting pot of influences from around the world, creating a culture that is completely unique
- The legendary João Baptiste is Ibo’s self-proclaimed living historian who tells stories from his veranda at home on Ibo
Boundless secrets, history and culture are still contained amongst the marvellous ruins of Ibo
- One of the largest mangrove forests in Africa is firmly rooted in front of Ibo Island.
- Shrubs of unbleached coral reefs are commonly found in the shallow depths surrounding Ibo. Dolphins, whales, turtles and the occasional shy dugong are found here
- The biggest Dogtooth Tuna fishing catch occur between Ibo and Matemo Island
- Ibo nests over 700 different bird species, 10 of these being threatened
- The last sea faring trading dhow arrived on Ibo Island having sailed all the way from India in 1969!
Ibo Island lodge is located on the prime waterfront site, where romantic dhows sail out to sea on each high tide. The lodge encompasses magnificent mansions each over one hundred years old with walls over a meter thick and lofty high ceilings.
Ibo is a potential World Heritage Site and therefore the rooms have been individually designed to incorporate the original architecture of the buildings. All are unique and feature wide verandas furnished with hand crafted furniture and soft cushions to relax in island style.
All the rooms are air-conditioned and also have ceiling fans.
The lodge has two swimming pools to relax by and is set in tropical frangipani and bougainvillea
gardens. An air-conditioned lounge and a private dinning room, as well as a roof terrace restaurant complete the facilities.
The Ibo Lodge Experience
- FREE WIFI
- Daily boat transfer to our Sandbank Beach
- Castaway beach lunch and picnics
- Guided sandbank snorkelling
- Guided historical experience
- Guided Ibo cultural experience
- Interactive tour of lodge pre-school
- Visit to the silversmiths
- All meals - award nominated cuisine
- Morning tea /coffee brought to room
- Iced water flask in room
- Romantic petal turn downs
- Situated in the Quirimbas National Park
- World Heritage nominated
- 3 restored historical mansions
- Beach culture and historical
- Individually designed rooms
- Air conditioned and 24 hour power
- Antiques and handcrafted furnishings
- Enormous 4 poster carved beds
- Wide verandas stunning views
- Glamorous rooftop restaurant
- Award nominated cuisine
- 16 meter rim flow pool
- Tropical gardens fantastic birdlife
- Dhow safaris, beach picnics
- Scuba diving and snorkeling
- Guided historical and cultural tours
- Sea kayaking, birding safaris
- Massage, relax, slow down
- Island style unique atmosphere
SEA FACING ROOMS
Beautiful high and low tide ocean views that change throughout the day. Air-conditioning, ceiling fans, wide verandas, magnificent king size 4 poster beds, luxury cotton and silk linen.
Original, beautifully restored large historic rooms with wide verandas facing lush tropical gardens at the rear of the Niassa mansion. A perfect setting to explore and discover on your Mozambique Holiday.
Our Niassa Garden rooms step out from huge verandas into lush tropical gardens with chunky palm trees that provide shade around the Niassa dip pool.
PRIVATE VILLA PARADISO
his beautifully restored building can cater for up to 12 guests and has private facilities including its own pool and garden, kitchen and roof top terrace. One of the most unique Private Mozambique Villas available.
- Individually designed
- Sea, historical, garden rooms
- Air conditioned
- Luxurious en-suite bathrooms
- Wide verandas great views
- 4 poster enormous beds
- Child friendly rooms
- Teak and mahogany furniture
- Chest’ safe with lock
- Brass and antique original fittings
- Healing Earth guest amenities
- Iced water flasks at turn down
- Morning tea and coffee
Guests partake in a multitude of experiences: dive, sail, kayak, swim or fish. Become immersed in the unchanged, ancient culture of Ibo and the rare chance to interact with wonderfully
hospitable islanders, or simply relax, refresh the senses and soak up the romantic atmosphere.
Download our guide on Day Tours from Ibo Island here.